Alabama  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/01/12, 8:05 pm

I got caught shoplifting from a Walmart in Alabama. I went to jail and a few days later got something in the mail saying if I pay $200 they will drop charges and I will get a letter back. I paid the $200 and haven't heard anything back; my court date is in a week. I haven't talked to any lawyers. What should I do?

1 Answer

Answered on: 11/02/12, 1:06 pm by C. Terry Gregg, Jr.

I know what letter you are referring to if you mean the collections firm from Florida. From my understanding, the $200 is a settlement for Wal-Mart not to pursue a $200 statutory recovery fee they are entitled to as a matter of civil law.

This has nothing to do with the criminal penalties but only the amount of restitution you might owe. The criminal charges may be dropped by Wal-Mart if you paid that fee but you still may be prosecuted by the District Attorney or Municipal Court. Wal-Mart cannot force a government agency to drop criminal charges once they are instituted.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of Terry Gregg, LLC PO Box 2924 Tuscaloosa, AL 35403

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search