Alabama  |  Criminal Law

I had a set of 22" rims stolen off my car while it was in the shop. Found out they had been taken to a local pawn shop then sold. the police told me I cant get them back because they was sold legally. What can I do to get my rims back?

Answered on: 4/14/10, 7:53 am by Robert Kreitlein

Well, I'm guessing there may be more to the story? Were the rims repossessed or actually stolen? Nothing is "sold legally" if it's been stolen so I'm not really sure what the police meant by that. The only way something could be sold legally in that situation is if you had financed the rims and didn't pay and they were repo'd and then sold.

If they truly were stolen and not repo'd, the police should be able to get them back, unless the buyer from the pawn shop paid cash and they have no way of tracking down the buyer. Also, since the car was in the shop, it's the shop-owner's responsibility to care for your property so you could sue the shop-owner for the value of the rims. Good luck!

This answer is based on the limited information given and is for general information purposes only. “Legal advice” is informed advice based on specific facts and knowledge of the complete situation. Therefore, this does not constitute “legal advice”, no attorney-client relationship is created and it should not be regarded as a substitute for direct consultation with an attorney based on the specific details of your situation.

Robert Kreitlein, Attorney at Law PO Box 3018 Birmingham, AL 35202