Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

In my divorce agreement I was told I get 50% of my husbands current 401K. Would I be able to request the cash now? Is he obligated to cash my half out? We are 36 yrs old. Been divorced 1+ Years.

Asked on 10/11/13, 3:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joan Bundy Joan Bundy Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your divorce decree should have stated how the funds were to be divided, but if not, what you need is a QDRO. Pronounced "QUAD-row," it stands for Qualified Domestic Relations Order. This is a separate court order that the judge has to sign off on and also must be approved by the plan administrator of the 401(k) retirement benefit (that's what makes it "qualified"). You would be best served to consult with a family law attorney who handles QDROs, of which I am one. Best of luck!

Read more
Answered on 10/11/13, 3:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now