California  |  Consumer Law

I have a $300 debt with Paypal from a Paypal Smart Connect Credit account about 6 months ago. I received on average 5 calls a day and when that finally stopped they recently contacted my father at his home (East Coast) and told him that I used his phone number as my contact number on my Paypal account which was not true and even went as far as telling him that I am trying to get into his paypal account. All of this as a way to get a hold of me. A woman claiming to be from Paypal contacted my mother who I do not live with and also never associated with my Paypal account and told her to take down her number since she wouldn't give her mine, and said that my social security number may be involved in identity theft. Also a lie because when I called the woman back she started in about me making a payment. So now Paypal has my Dad threatening to come out to the California authorities to report me for Identity theft if I ever pull that crap again. I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING but have a debt with Paypal. Are there tactics legal and if not what can I do so I can prove to my Dad and Mom that this was done in effort to collect on a debt? By the way I am experiencing financial hardship and have not been able to make a payment on the debt.

Answered on: 12/20/11, 4:37 pm by Bryan Becker

Just when I thought I had heard of the most ridiculous credit collection tactics, stories like yours remind me that the industry has no shame and will try anything. You have multiple reasons to sue them for violations of the FDCPA and state Rosenthal Act. If successful you can recover $1000 per violation and attorney fees. Our practice takes these cases on contingency and I would be happy to speak to you further about this.

Please feel free to call/email at your convenience.

Best,

Bryan

bcb@bbeckerlaw.com

877.201.8728

Becker Attorneys 1205 Prospect Street, Suite 400 La Jolla, CA 92037