California  |  Military Law

Getting Out of the Army Reserve Before Basic Training

I signed up for the Army Reserve a couple of months ago. I've regretted it ever since. I just know it's not for me. I was going through a rough time when I decided to join and I thought that it was my only option. Now things in my life have cleared up and I changed my mind about joining. I signed a contract and swore in at L.A. MEPS. I haven't gone to Basic Training or AIT yet, I am due to leave August 27th. I was wondering if there is any way I can get out of it. Thanks for your time!

Answered on: 7/14/09, 5:05 pm by Philip D. Cave

Re: Getting Out of the Army Reserve Before Basic Training

Yes,

You must write a letter to the commander of the recruiting district.

DO NOT deal with the recruiter on this. They have a conflict of interest. It is malpractice and against Army regulations to threaten or mislead someone who wants out of the contract, yet it stills goes on.

You do not have to state a reason why you want out of the contract. Although any number of people say it's a change in approach to future and will be going to school or have a better paying job, or feel mentally unsuited.

Military Law & Justice 1318 Princess St., Ste. 20 Alexandria, VA 22314