California  |  Bankruptcy

I filed an emergency skeletal chapter 7 bankruptcy at 0930 on 7/18/13.

I was trying to stop a lien sale scheduled for 1030 7/18/13 of my property in a storage locker.I was successful in serving the storage facility with mt filed petition.

The woman at the counter stated that this is bullshit and I needed to get a truck and haul my possessions away because they weren't going to just store my property for free. I did not commit to this demand but I need to know what my rights are to protect my property until I can make other arrangements?

Answered on: 7/18/13, 2:01 pm by Mark Saltzman, MBA, JD

The first thing to do is to make sure that you complete your filing, so that your case is not dismissed. Then, it would be a good idea to get your stuff, since the warehouse seems to want it out.

If you leave your items in the warehouse, the warehouse can go to court and get permission to sell the stored items. If the warehouse voluntarily releases the items to you, the warehouse loses its lien and becomes an unsecured creditor, standing in line with all the other unsecured creditors.

Law Offices of Mark E. Saltzman 18321 Ventura Blvd, Suite 530 Tarzana, CA 91356