California  |  Business Law

If my name is John Smith, can I operate my sole proprietorship as Smith Programming, or will I need to file a DBA?

Answered on: 2/08/10, 9:22 pm by Bryan Whipple

A business name containing the surname of the proprietor and something indicating the nature of the business is not fictitious, and does not need to be filed. "Smith Programming" fills the bill if your surname is Smith and you do primarily programming. Still, I'd advise that in formal documents like leases and contracts, and maybe on your letterhead or business card, you might add in fine print, "John Smith, proprietor." In the case of partnerships, all the names need to appear, for example, Smith & Jones Plumbing is OK but Smith & Sons Plumbing is NOT OK because the names of the implied partners (the sons) aren't stated.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318

Answered on: 2/09/10, 11:04 am by Terry A. Nelson

DBA is required unless you are using only your individual legal name. Anyone doing business would be well advised to operate only as a corporation, for reasons of personal liability and asset protection. If serious about getting legal help accomplishing that, feel free to contact me.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648