Legal Question in Constitutional Law in California

If a petition for a writ of habeas corpus (dependency case) under 2241 is denied by a highest level of a state court and my trial is already over in the state court, can I file a new habeas corpus under 2254 with a U.S. district court instead of state court directly? I understand that I have to start a new petition with a state court under 2254 in order to move the case to the U.S. district court to prove that I exhausted all remedies. However, I am just asking this question as I believe that there is serious violations of U.S. constitutions.

Asked on 4/22/13, 11:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Goff James R. Goff, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It is important that your state remedies have been exhausted. If you have the right to an appeal from your conviction and you fail to exhaust that remedy you may be barred from use of a habeas corpus writ, because of the failure to exhaust your state remedy. Your prior habeas corpus even if denied by the highest state court may not exhaust your state remedies by appeal. It is not clear from your question whether you have exhausted your state remedies.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/13, 3:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Constitutional Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now