California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/22/13, 7:17 pm

I live in California I had a loan that I took out in 2004 to take a course at a technical school for driving. I ended up unemployed and could not make the payments. They say it defaulted in 2006. I tried making payment arrangements for years and none were willing to take what I could afford. it has been passed to many different collectors over the years. Now a company called MRS and associates are calling and saying Sallie Mae is going to garnish my wages. They have called and hung up at my work multiple times after asking for me. Can they really garnish my wages after all these years? and can they keep calling my work like this. Is it my best option to file bankruptcy? I have a few things on my credit from when I lost my job, but that is the only one trying to collect, and is the only higher dollar amount one. It started as a $5000.00 loan and is now saying it is over $16000.00. What options do I have?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search