Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I am a college student and have a petty theft case due to stealing roughly $60 worth of items. I received a citation and have court in a week but would like to work out a way which this does not go on my record. I realize what I did that was wrong and was very honest with store LP and the police at the store. I do not have enough money for legal counsel and am struggling to pay the fee placed by the store (walmart). I do not mind doing something to make up for this incident I just do not want this on my record. How would I go about this ?

Asked on 3/20/13, 2:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you can't afford an attorney the Court will appoint the Public Defender for you. Some Counties (I'm not sure about Solano County) have a theft diversion program where you go to a class and the case is dismissed. Talk to the Public Defender about your options.

Read more
Answered on 3/21/13, 9:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now