California  |  Criminal Law

I am a college student and have a petty theft case due to stealing roughly $60 worth of items. I received a citation and have court in a week but would like to work out a way which this does not go on my record. I realize what I did that was wrong and was very honest with store LP and the police at the store. I do not have enough money for legal counsel and am struggling to pay the fee placed by the store (walmart). I do not mind doing something to make up for this incident I just do not want this on my record. How would I go about this ?

Answered on: 3/21/13, 9:12 am by Elena Condes

If you can't afford an attorney the Court will appoint the Public Defender for you. Some Counties (I'm not sure about Solano County) have a theft diversion program where you go to a class and the case is dismissed. Talk to the Public Defender about your options.

LAW OFFFICE OF ELENA CONDES 1010 Grayson Street Berkeley, CA 94710