California  |  Discrimination Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/12/13, 9:41 pm

me and my partner are thinking about getting married in california. my question is what legal stuff do me and my partner need to do in case we go to a state where same sex marriage is not legal so that we stay protected

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/13/13, 9:56 am by Robert F. Cohen

Right now, the law is unsettled about whether states that don't have marriage equality will recognize a marriage. It seems that the federal government is doing so, but it will take a few more years of litigation to determine whether such states must give "full faith and credit" to the legal acts of another state. The best thing to do at this point is to live in a state that recognizes marriage equality.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Robert F. Cohen P.O. Box 15896 San Francisco, CA 94115-0896

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search