California  |  Family Law

I want to find out what rights I have if I divorce my husband.

We have been married 18 years, and have two children, 16 and 13 years old. I am not a US citizen, only a resident alien since we were married in 1993.

Most of our married life I have stayed at home, taking care of the kids and house. I started working as a realtor in November of last year, but so far has no income of my own.

We have more expenses than income now, and are not in a good financial position. We have a mortgage, the kids go to private schools, we have one car payment, and lots of bills. As I see it, we would not be able to have two rents if we divorced, with the income of my husband only.

I would not give up the kids under any circumstances. I am the one who has taken care of them and my husband has a bad relationship with our 16 year daughter.

Also, is there a possibility for me to move back to Sweden with the kids? This is not something that I really want to do, but I am alone here, with my family in Sweden.

I appreciate your response.