California  |  Family Law

I was married 23 years and have no children, I raised her children put them through college, and raised them as my own. I have been divorce 8 years and pay allimony. When can I stop paying and move on with my life? She is doing better than I financially.

Answered on: 12/03/10, 1:08 am by James Sanchez

Your marriage definitely fits into the category of a marriage of long duration. Unless there are specific facts to create an exception, or unless you signed a marital settlement agreement otherwise, spousal support in either direction would last until the other party passes away or gets remarried.

Adjustments, however, can be requested under certain circumstances to the amount paid. A competent family law attorney can advise you as to whether or not you have such circumstances, or if you wish, to make an order to show cause to reduce spousal support.

Law Office of James V. Sanchez 4010 Watson Plaza Dr, Suite 100 Lakewood, CA 90712

Answered on: 12/03/10, 10:07 am by JULIEANN SAYEGH

If your circumstances have changed since the last order and she is now in a better financial situation than you are, more than likely you can file a post judgment modification for spousal support. The court will then set the matter for a 4320 hearing, where it considers all the factors in the Family Code Section 4320.

Best of Luck

Law Offices of Julieann R. Sayegh 818 N. Mountain Avenue, Suite 219 Upland, CA 91786