Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

I left my boyfriend that I lived with in California last June. When I was getting my things together to leave him, he threw my brand new laptop at me crushing it and also ripped out my piercings I had gotten 2 months prior. I slapped him, and he got a domestic abuse retstraining order on me. After we went to court, and he won, he kept stalking me. Constantly going to my work just sitting there staring at me and so did his family members. I did not want to deal with it all so I moved to New York this past September. Since then I have gotten friend requests on every social media profile I have from his new girlfriend. I am going back to California to visit my mom who lives in the town he does. I wanted to know if there is any way I could get a temporary protective order on him just for the time I'm out there. He is protected by the retstraining order, but I am not protected at all.

Asked on 5/21/13, 10:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A temporary restraining order is "temporary" not because it is issued for a short time, but rather it is an order that is issued on an ex parte basis (meaning shortened or no notice, with the judge usually meeting only one party). That order is called a TRO, and if it is entered, it lasts until a full hearing can be held, in which the person to be restrained has the right to show up and oppose the request.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/13, 1:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now