Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

Dear Sirs,

the client is on a tourist visa and her fiance is an American citizen. They plan to get married in US, but they read in a couple of sources that she had to come back to her home country and apply for fiance's visa???? - is it true that they have to go through that or it is only the option for someone who is now in their home country?

Please clarify.

thank you and have a nice day!

Asked on 8/03/10, 11:40 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Rahul Manchanda, Esq. Manchanda Law Office PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The issue boils down to the intent of the parties at the time of initial Visa procurement.

If, at the time of applying for a B1/B2 Visa at the US Embassy overseas, the party did not have immigrant intent, and he simply changed his mind while in the United States and decided to marry, then I see no problem with his US Citizen Spouse filing an I-130 Alien Relative Petition, I-485 Adjustment of Status, I-864 Affidavit of Support, I-693 Medical Examination, G-325A Biographical Data Forms, I-765 Employment Authorization Document, and I-131 Advance Parole Travel Documents concurrently while here in the United States.

However, if his intent initially was to marry this US Citizen, or to remain in the United States for a period longer than his authorized stay on the B1/B2 Visa pursuant to the date on his I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, then he has de facto violated the Immigration Laws and should return to his foreign country to apply for either a K-1 Fiance Visa or a K-3 Spousal Visa if they get married in the United States.

It is really very subjective.

Please call me at the law office at (212) 968-8600 or toll free at (866) 761-5308 if you have any additonal questions.


Read more
Answered on 8/08/10, 1:03 pm
Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


Are you an attorney? (you mentioned in your post that this is a question for a client).

I suggest you refer them to a knowledgeable immigration attorney.

If you would like to request a confidential legal advice or schedule telephone or email consultation regarding your specific situation, please email me directly at Attorney @ and I will send you a Questionnaire. Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please EMAIL first to schedule a consultation appointment). I am an immigration attorney and work with clients from all States and globally. More information at

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit

Read more
Answered on 8/08/10, 3:05 pm
Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I suggest contacting me for a free consultation here:

You can also find out more about the issue you posed on an article I wrote available here:

Read more
Answered on 8/09/10, 2:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now