California  |  Immigration Law

My husband and I were married in Ghana a few months ago, can I apply for the I-130 petition here while staying on a visitors visa, do I have to have a resident visa to file it? Or, do I have to return to California in order to file it?

Answered on: 8/17/13, 12:16 am by Michael Cho

You may file while you are there, but the actual petition must be filed with the USCIS office located here in the U.S.

You may find more information about the I-130 process on my web site here:

http://www.smartimmigrationlawyer.com/spouse-visa/spouse-visa-intro/

Law Offices of Michael Cho 10940 Wilshire Boulevard, 16th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90024

Answered on: 8/17/13, 8:47 am by Armen Tashjian

If you got married in Ghana and came to the US as a visitor then you may be accused of having committed a visa fraud. Your true intent was to come to the US as a permanent resident, whereas your tourist application was for a temporary visit. I strongly advise you to consult with a lawyer to plan your next move before you do something uninformed and get yourself in trouble.

Good luck.

Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian 6311 Wilshire Blvd., Second Floor Los Angeles, CA 90048