Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I am a student with an F1 visa in the states. I first came as a student on Feb 2012 with F1 visa with 1.5 year term for the language school and got transferred to Jr collage for prep on undergraduate degree. Most recently I went back to Turkey and extended my F1 visa till 2016 in June. Now I am back in states and waiting to start the Jr collage next week. Very recently, I got married to a US Citizen.

My question is, do I need to keep my international student status after applying for I-485(will apply next week) and waiting for the processing or can I unenroll from the school while I am waiting for acceptance on her greencard? If I do is there a risk? if so what is the risk?

The reason I am asking is because if I keep going to school with my international student status I will pay 10x higher school rate instead of resident rate. I still plan on going to school after I am considered as resident.

Asked on 8/14/13, 11:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Once you apply for your adjustment, you do not need to maintain F-1 status in order to remain inside the United States. You can remain in the U.S. until your adjustment of status interview.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/13, 11:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88403 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Charles AspinwallCharles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLCLos Lunas, NM
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now