Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I had wife and kids before entering this country but some reason my status was single and was not able to bring families. But after 3 months I am filing citizenship. So, it is good to file family petition before filing citizenship or it is better after getting citizenship for bringing families

Asked on 3/27/13, 6:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Dependents are not included for naturalization purposes. If you were married before you filed for your legal permanent residency, you face potential fraud issues, depending on how you obtained your greencard.

That being said, assuming you become a U.S. citizen, you can petition for your wife & unmarried children under 21 for greencards. If you have married children &/or children over 21, they will have to wait much longer to be eligible for legal permanent residency.

Read more
Answered on 3/27/13, 7:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Adam LambertThe Law Office of Adam S. LambertNew Orleans, LA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now