California  |  Insurance Law

My father is 71 years old and he is receiving benefits from a long-term care insurance policy.

The policy is a reimbursement policy and it contains an exclusion

for family members as caregivers. That is, the caregiver that is paid by the insurance company to care for him

can not be a family member.

The daily benefit amount is $100.

He has had the same caregiver for the past 4 years.

Recently, he mentioned the possibility of getting married to his caregiver.

I told him that if he marries his caregiver then she becomes a family member

and she can no longer get paid to look after him.

I also told him that if she continues to be a paid caregiver after the marriage

then the insurance company could sue him for breach of contract because he would be violating the terms

of the policy.

He did not seem to understand this restriction of the long-term care policy.

In addition to breach of contract, could the insurance company sue him for civil fraud?

Also, could the district attorney bring criminal insurance fraud charges against him?

I do not want tell him he would be committing criminal insurance fraud unless that is the case.

Given that he qualifies medically for benefits under the policy, would marrying his caregiver be considered civil insurance fraud, criminal insurance fraud, or simply a breach of contract?

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.