California  |  Employment Law

After accepting a position with my current company, I was given a Spot on Bonus to assist with moving expenses.( Just $1000) to a city 100 miles away from my home. 4000 miles a month and a $1200 monthly commute, I am leaving the company due to an opportunity and was told that I needed to repay the bonus. ( I have been with the company for 5 years and in this location for 14 weeks)

1. I didn't sign a contract or agreement.

2. The bonus was included in a check with my regular salary and labeled "Spot on Bonus"

3.I initially authorized a withdrawal but have decided to withdraw my consent.

I reside in the state of CA and I have been reading the Labor and Wage Laws, but cannot find an answer. Am I liable for the $1000 without a signed agreement? Do I need to repay it?

Thanks!

Answered on: 6/10/13, 9:09 am by Kristine Karila

Your question is confusing. If you "authorized a withdrawal" from your paycheck, you may have agreed to repay the bonus. Contact an employment law attorney to discuss.

Law Office of Kristine S. Karila 9891 Irvine Center Dr., Ste. 200 Irvine, CA 92618

Answered on: 6/10/13, 4:34 pm by John Laurie

It would depend upon that the terms were when you got the moving bonus and what your employment agreement provides for. I would also check to see what policy's the company has in this area.

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356