Legal Question in Employment Law in California

After accepting a position with my current company, I was given a Spot on Bonus to assist with moving expenses.( Just $1000) to a city 100 miles away from my home. 4000 miles a month and a $1200 monthly commute, I am leaving the company due to an opportunity and was told that I needed to repay the bonus. ( I have been with the company for 5 years and in this location for 14 weeks)

1. I didn't sign a contract or agreement.

2. The bonus was included in a check with my regular salary and labeled "Spot on Bonus"

3.I initially authorized a withdrawal but have decided to withdraw my consent.

I reside in the state of CA and I have been reading the Labor and Wage Laws, but cannot find an answer. Am I liable for the $1000 without a signed agreement? Do I need to repay it?


Asked on 6/10/13, 12:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kristine Karila Law Office of Kristine S. Karila
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your question is confusing. If you "authorized a withdrawal" from your paycheck, you may have agreed to repay the bonus. Contact an employment law attorney to discuss.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/13, 9:09 am
John Laurie Gertz and Laurie
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It would depend upon that the terms were when you got the moving bonus and what your employment agreement provides for. I would also check to see what policy's the company has in this area.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/13, 4:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now