California  |  Employment Law

Breaks and restroom

Spring 05 - summer 05, was restricted to using restroom at will. I have a desk job and answer phones all day. I'm one of the top producers in my department.

Was forced to send an instant msg to use restroom and often told to wait.

Beyond this, now i can't really hold my urine..Have to go right away and it hits hard. Never had this problem until after the summer when they lightened up.

Now, im told that a stroll to get food at a vending machine in the building is considered my break, even though it only took 8 mins. But a 20 min restroom usage at anypoint in the day is not?

Pls give me some advice..Espcially on the inability to hold my urine for a normal period of time.

Answered on: 1/03/06, 8:57 pm by Michael Kirschbaum

Re: Breaks and restroom

See if you can get a doctor to diagnose your medical condition as a disability and ask the employer to reasonably accommodate you. Also contact CAL OSHA and ask if this practice is an unsafe work condition. They can investigate and require the employer to change its practice if it is.

Law Offices of Michael R. Kirschbaum 2 Park Plaza, Suite 650 Irvine, CA 92614