Legal Question in Legal Ethics in California

On Tuesday I was detained in a grocery store on suspicion of shoplifting. The store security guard searched my bag, as in she SEARCHED it like she was a cop. She removed my cash. It was never counted in front of me and she handled it when she told me she was going to put it in my wallet. I was across the room and well now I am missing $400 of my rent money that I counted right before I entered the store. I just want my money back. Do I file a police report? Talk to the manager first? I was also handcuffed and kept cuffed even though I was completely cooperative. I was held for close to two hours in really, really tight cuffs that injured my wrists. No peace officer was present until the last ten minutes. Only private security. I was ultimately not charged with anything but briefly(booked and released on OR) held on a warrant for a failure to appear in a case in the city I lived previously. This behavior cannot be right? What are my rights? What are my damages if any. I also really, really need my money back like today.

Robert Kubler The Kubler Law Firm

File in Small Claims Court could go any which way.

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in California