Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

Illegal Use of Pepperspray?

My ex and I got into a VERBAL altercation over the weekend. The security guard came up to us screaming and calling us "B's" and saying "F you". As we were walking out, my ex boyfriend yelled at me from his patio and I ended up turning and running back towards him, the security guard chased me and peppersprayed me. Not knowing much about this, I looked into the laws and it seems that the only reason to spray is a physical threat of violence towards him or others and neither of those fit the bill. I believe he was just "angry" because I wasn't following his exact commands. I am 5'1, 130 lbs, had no weapons on me and never made a physical threat or action the entire duration of the event, at ALL, everything was VERBAL. I have four witnesses to attest to this as well.

Is there any action I can take against this company?

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

Jason Richman Jason A. Richman, Esq.

I do not know the specific CA laws applicable to pepper spray, but in CA and every other jurisdiction, the damages documentably suffered are the prime factor in determining the amount a money collectible through a lawsuit. This being the case, unless certain specific factors are present in your situation, it is unlikely that any potential suit would be financially viable.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California