Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was rear-ended by an elderly driver several months ago. I need to file suit to protect my rights. The accident happened in San Bernardino county, but I now live in Santa Cruz county. Can I file where I live now?

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at SEGlaw.com

Jeremy Hanson Law Offices of Jeremy K. Hanson

No, you need to file in San Bernardino county unless the defendant resides in your county. We can help please call for a free consultation. I need more info. What was the date of accident? What are your injuries? Are you still treating? What was the amount of your property damage? No worries, we can help.

Rob Reed Law Office of Robert A. Reed

San Bernardino court system. The statute of limitations is more than likely two years in your case so it is not pressing to file. Good luck.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

No. It must be filed in the county where it occurred.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible.

Robert Worth Law Offices of Robert J. Worth

As stated by the other lawyers you are required to file in the jurisdiction (San Bernardino County Superior Court) where the accident occurred. However, the that court has more than one court location including downtown and Rancho Cucamonga, so it depends on which area your accident occurred in the county. You don't indicate whether or not you were injured or if this only involves property damage and perhaps a rental car expense. If you were not injured and had collision coverage you may wish to have your car repaired in the Santa Cruze area through either you own insurance policy and let it recover their out of pocket expense and your deductible or go to an approved body shop through the other driver's insurance, (if that driver was insured), assuming that carrier has accepted liability on behalf of its insured. Hope this helps.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California