Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was rear-ended by an elderly driver several months ago. I need to file suit to protect my rights. The accident happened in San Bernardino county, but I now live in Santa Cruz county. Can I file where I live now?

Asked on 11/06/13, 8:55 pm

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

4 Answers from Attorneys

Jeremy Hanson Law Offices of Jeremy K. Hanson
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, you need to file in San Bernardino county unless the defendant resides in your county. We can help please call for a free consultation. I need more info. What was the date of accident? What are your injuries? Are you still treating? What was the amount of your property damage? No worries, we can help.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/13, 9:00 pm
Rob Reed Law Office of Robert A. Reed
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

San Bernardino court system. The statute of limitations is more than likely two years in your case so it is not pressing to file. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 12:06 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. It must be filed in the county where it occurred.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 2:22 am
Robert Worth Law Offices of Robert J. Worth
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

As stated by the other lawyers you are required to file in the jurisdiction (San Bernardino County Superior Court) where the accident occurred. However, the that court has more than one court location including downtown and Rancho Cucamonga, so it depends on which area your accident occurred in the county. You don't indicate whether or not you were injured or if this only involves property damage and perhaps a rental car expense. If you were not injured and had collision coverage you may wish to have your car repaired in the Santa Cruze area through either you own insurance policy and let it recover their out of pocket expense and your deductible or go to an approved body shop through the other driver's insurance, (if that driver was insured), assuming that carrier has accepted liability on behalf of its insured. Hope this helps.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 7:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88433 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now