Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

Am I entitled to any compensation from my realtor or escrow or selling party for property damage that happened after close of escrow, during a one week period of vacancy prior to moving in? My Air Conditioning unit was vandalized and stolen. Thanks!

J.V.

William Christian Rodi Pollock

Once escrow closes you usually are entitled to possession at close (though your contract can vary this). Once it is yours, the security of the property is your problem. It would be necessary to review your documents to provide a definitive answer. This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

I'd say not unless (a) there were a deal term that denied you possession during the one week period of vacancy (unusual, but it does happen), or (b) one of the parties whom you name as possibly liable has actually done something negligent that was a significant factor in allowing the crime to occur.

I agree with Mr. Whipple.

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

Once the property is yours its your responsibility. Your homeowners policy might cover the loss. Check with your insurance agent.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California