California  |  Real Estate Law

What do I do about my landlord taking the door off the hinges in order to throw out and remove all of my belongings as well as break the lock on my daughters room and steal items out of our packed belongings on the day I started moved out. I was not evicted, I agreed to move out by the 31st; there was never a writ of possession issued.

I had to leave things behind that he put outside because I was not prepared to vacate in one day and my new place is not ready until the 15th but he removed the doors, our personal locks and our belongings and now I am paying for a hotel until my new place is ready.

I called the police out and they did not even stick around to take a report so I filed one online because my new home is in another city and county than my previous residence. What can I do about the losses I have incurred and the costs I am incurring behind his actions?