Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

A piece of property with a single family home has been inherited by 9 family members from four deceased siblings. The partners do not speak and the property is deteriorating. Everyone pays their share of the property taxes and HOA insurance. One owner( 8 1/2%) has approved and completed repairs to a joining property good neighbor fence . I have received a bill from this minority owner to pay 25% of the bill.

Do co-owners have the obligation to consult with the other owners before repairs are performed?

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

There are really two related questions here. The first is whether one co-owner can commit to expenditures that would become a charge against the financial interests in the property of the other co-owners upon a sale. The answer here is that it depends upon the necessity or urgency of the expenditure. Outlays for things like mortgage payments, insurance premiums, property taxes and "necessary repairs, " when made by co-owner #1, become latent claims against the other co-owners, if and when the property is sold and profits realized. The good neighbor fence in question MAY fall into this category. However, the other question is whether co-owner #1 can send the other co-owners a bill for their share and expect to collect, prior to a sale of the property where everyone cashes in. Here, I think it depends upon what the co-owners may have agreed upon -- any contract between them -- for the care and management of the property. If there is none, I think it is doubtful that any co-owner who didn't agree to pay could be forced to pay, prior to a sale of the property.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California