Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I'm in the process of getting a loan modification on a property that was given to me from my mother through probate, after her death.

There was a lien on the property, which I paid off, but now I found out that there is possibly interest and penalties on the lien.

I am trying to get the house turned over into me and my husbandís name.

Is there something we can do to keep this from possibly being a block in the process of us getting the loan modification on the property and also getting the property into our name?

Asked on 6/27/13, 10:59 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you have paid off the lien, then it should be released. If you owe interest and penalties on a lien, then it is not paid off and should not be released. It is as simple as that.

Read more
Answered on 6/27/13, 11:07 am
Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I would add that retaining a lawyer to handle completion of probate proceedings, making sure liens are fully discharged, and effecting change in county ownership records would make a lot of sense.....and rates for probate are pretty reasonable.

Read more
Answered on 6/30/13, 10:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now