Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

How do I respond to an unlawful detainer-eviction claim for non-payment for june rent. We paid the rent with a money order, however the manager claims he never received it. thanks

Asked on 7/16/13, 5:39 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You respond by timely filing a proper Answer and denial, and by submitting whatever proof you have of payment at trial. You do have your copy of the money order so you can track it at the bank, right?? Without proof, you have no defense to the UD. Try to negotiate now, rather than go to trial.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/13, 12:35 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I hope you have proof that you obtained the money order, which should be dated and authenticated by someone from the place that issued the money order. As Mr. Nelson pointed out, you will have to file an answer, that is timely and contests the allegations of the complaint.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/13, 12:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now