California  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 12/27/05, 7:09 pm


I live in an apartment complex (11 one bedroom units) on a street that has mixed use buildings on it. Small markets, hair salons, offices, apartments, etc. I am interested in purchasing the complex and converting the front unit into an office, the last four units into a house, and then keeping the middle six as one bedroom units. Where do I find how the parcel is zoned? To who and how do I submit my proposal? Does the zoning have to be mixed use? If that particular parcel is zoned residential, what options do I have to still follow through with the conversion? If I own the property and it is zoned mixed use, am I free to do what I please with the property? Would the amount of apartment units (as a whole) the city wants enter into the equation? Thanks.

1 Answer

Answered on: 12/27/05, 7:28 pm by Carl Starrett

Re: Zoning

Your best bet is to consult with local land use attorney. For preliminary research, I would contant your local building department and they should be able to tell you how the property is zoned and explain to you what uses are authorized.

If your intended use is consistent with your current zoning, chances are you won't need to do anything. However, applying for building permits to make changes might trigger a review of the proposed use and that's where the land use attorney might be of assistance.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II 1941-C Friendship Drive El Cajon, CA 92020-1144

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search