Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My father made a codicil to his will/trust allowing my sister to live in his house indefinitely after he dies. She will be responsible for all taxes, bills, etc. We are both the beneficiaries, I am the executor and have power of attorney. How do I divide the estate when my sister is living in the house. It will be deeded to both of us and she will control what happens to the house.

Asked on 8/26/13, 6:47 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jennifer Rouse Meissner Joseph & Palley
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your father is deceased then the power of attorney is no longer effective. Does the will or trust provide that the house is held in trust for your sister or does it distribute it to her with a life estate? You should contact an attorney to review all the documents to properly advise you.

Read more
Answered on 8/26/13, 7:09 pm
William Christian Rodi Pollock
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It is not posible to answer your question without having the ability to review the documents creating and describing the rights described.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/13, 9:43 am
Scott Jordan Dunning Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The above responses are absolutely correct. Also, if your father only left a will, you may have to probate the house before any changes in title can be recorded.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/13, 10:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now