Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My father and I have a small business/ investment together, we are equal partners. He has passed away and there is no will. Can my brother and sisters come after my fathers share of the business? Or am I now full owner of the business?

Asked on 8/22/13, 11:44 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Palley Meissner, Joseph & Palley, Inc.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unfortunately they can go after dad's share of the business. I encourage you to find a probate attorney to help you out. Maybe you can work out a deal that's fair to all. -John

Read more
8/22/13, 11:46 am
Thomas Reid Happe Reid, PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I would agree with Mr. Palley. However, if you had a buy/sell agreement in place with your father, you may have a right to purchase his share of the business from his estate before it passes to your siblings. You should seek out an estate planning attorney to assist you.

Read more
8/22/13, 12:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88263 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now