Connecticut  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/09/13, 12:22 pm

I recently filed for custody of my three month old daughter (we all live in Connecticut if that helps). My ex boyfriend is on the birth certificate and has been in and out of her life since birth, and as of two weeks ago stated he didn't love her and wished she wasn't born and wanted to give up his rights. A few days later he accuses me of not letting him see her even though he missed six visits in a row on his own. He began harassing me and I called the police. He was spoken to by the police and told he is not to have any contact with me at all and any custody matters should be taken care of in court. I was also told because there are no custody orders in place they cannot enforce anything, meaning they can't force me to let her see him, but if I did, they cannot enforce him to give her back. After filing for custody, I recieived a set of emergency orders that automatically go into place, one of which being that both parents should maintain normal contact with the child until the hearing (which is scheduled for next month). I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be in contempt of court by not allowing him to see her, but I also don't want to risk not having my daughter for a month because the police can't make him give her back.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search