Legal Question in Federal Tort Claims in District of Columbia

USPS put my package in the trash can!

On Veterans Day I checked my mail from the day before, and I was left a in my mail box saying that the Postal worker had left my package in the ''first blue trash can.'' Fursitously, i looked in all three of our trashcans in front of my apartment complex, and it was not there. There was hardly anything in there, so I suppose the trash had been picked up. Much to my own embarrassment, I even dug through the little bit of garbage what was in there to see if it was under anything! I filed a complaint, but have yet to hear anything back from the Post Office. Is this not complete negligence? I think the employee who did this should be suspended.

Also, they are trying to tell me that my sender had to have put insurance on the package to have any financial reimbursement. The item in the package cost me approx. $50, and it was a custom-made laptop bag. Shipping was about $9. Any advice? What can I do?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: USPS put my package in the trash can!

As part of your pending complaint, amend it to include a request that his quasi-governmental entity(U.S.P.S.) send you a check in settlement of the matter for $59 (if you have not already done so).

More Federal Tort Claims Act Litigation questions and answers in District of Columbia