Florida  |  Insurance Law

I was in an auto accident the other day. It was my fault. I gave all my info to the officer. I came home to initate contact with my insurance company and found out that my policy had been cancelled. I did not know this when I gave my information. Can the officer come arrest me now?

Answered on: 5/28/11, 8:04 am by Addison Harvey

Technically you were in violation of the law when you were driving without insurance. In my jurisdiction it would be very unusual for the police to follow up on such a small matter. Generally if they do arrest or cite you, the matter can be resolved by obtaining insurance. It is also possible that you will suffer civil penalties that can result in your drivers license being suspended if you do not pay for damages caused in the accident.

The Law Offices of A. Reese Harvey 824 U.S. Highway One, Suite 220 North Palm Beach, FL 33408