Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Florida

I have a sealed misdemeanor charge adjudication withheld. Could this be grounds for motion in limine in a civil case regarding the charge?

Asked on 2/20/13, 11:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ed Hoeg Law Office of Ed Hoeg
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes. It is not usually admissible against you, so if you thought the State was going to attempt to use it against you, your lawyer will do a motion in limine to prevent the State from getting away with that kind of stuff. When adjudication was "withheld" you were not "convicted" of the crime. Generally even when you are adjudicated guilty for misdemeanors, evidence of the conviction is not admissible against youunless you are convicted of a misdemeanor which involves "dishonesty or a false statement" like petty theft or filing a false police report.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/13, 11:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88433 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Civil Rights Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now