Florida  |  Criminal Law

I was arrested with someone who was breaking into cars, but I was not. I was in my vehicle and picked him up and dropped him off. I ended up going to jail that night, and was in there for 4 days. I was released on SOR. My charges were dropped and not filed due to lack of evidence, and basically i was just a driver. They impounded my car and I am working to get it out. They are saying $5000 to get it out or it goes to the courts for trial in 11 days. My charges were dropped, I didn't get convicted of this crime nor am i guilty. How are they allowed to keep my truck? I dont understand. He may be in jail and have charges against him but I dont, and it is MY vehicle. I dont even know the guy personally. Please help, i don;t know my rights with this.

Answered on: 11/02/13, 12:51 pm by Joseph Justice

Florida Statute 932.701 allows law enforcement to seize a motor vehicle used in the commission or attempted commission of a felony. They will need to show that you knew or should have known the vehicle was being used toward the criminal activity.

The Justice Law Firm 6739 Land O lakes Blvd Land O Lakes, FL 34639