Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

umm.i recently was charged with petty theft and resisting arrest without violence.so when the officer came i didn't have any thing,i was locked out of the house.So my mother said i have taken her laptop and her tablet.So the officer was asking me for it .I said i didn't have anything to do with that and I said I didn't know where the tablet was.But I did know where the computer was.Earlier that day she had hid it herself in her room.I told them where i thought it was because i had seen it.He charged me with petty theft b/c i "deprived" her of her property.Can i defend this.

Joseph Justice The Justice Law Firm

Yes, theft still requires intent. The State will have to prove you intentionally deprived her of the property. If she hid it herself then you have neither deprived her of it or intended to deprive her. You would be well served to contact a lawyer on this matter quickly. There is a chance that with facts like yours the lawyer can persuade the State not to file formal charges.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida