Legal Question in DUI Law in Florida

I was pulled over for excessive speeding on the Florida interstate while traveling out of town. I was exhausted and didn't realize how fast I was going. Hours earlier I had consumed no more than 3 beers and was well under the limit.

The officer said that he smelled alcohol and I told him I had consumed a small amount of alcohol hours earlier and I agreed to do the Field Sobriety tests. I passed all of the field sobriety tests and the officer told me that “I didn't seem impaired”. He gave me a notice to appear in court for speeding but right before he left me he asked if I would volunteer to take a breathalyzer test. I asked him if it was required that I do so and he said “no”. I told him I would rather not and he said "okay". He then told me to drive home or call someone to pick me up if I was too tired and not comfortable driving.

My question is: Could my license be suspended for not taking the breathalyzer? I just read that refusing to take a breathalyzer automatically results in a 1 year license suspension but I’m unsure if that applies to my situation since I wasn't arrested or charged with a DUI—I was only given a notice to appear for excessive speeding.

Natalie Hall The Law Office of Natalie D. Hall, P.A.

More than likely your license would have been taken and you would have been issued a formal refusal warning if the intent was to charge you with refusal.

Joseph Justice The Justice Law Firm

No. In Florida the officers can only ask for a breath test after you have been arrested. Many times the officers ask this when they are concerned they have decided not to make and arrest but are still a little concerned (many heavy drinkers can perform this exercises well even over the limit). Had you blown over the officer would have called a cab for you or asked you to have someone else drive you home but you would not have been arrested.

Your refusal in this situation is not a "legal" refusal in that there are very specific requirements for the officer to ask for a breath test so your license can not be lawfully suspended.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Florida