Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

while waiting for mediation and court answer about custody, can I go ahead and move my child and my family to another state as I am the residential custodian parent.

Asked on 8/19/13, 8:59 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Carolyn Jones Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. You can only relocate with the other parents permission or a court order.

Read more
8/19/13, 9:06 am
John Smitten Carey and Leisure
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

no you cannot do that

Read more
8/19/13, 9:15 am
Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Absolutely you may not without an order from the judge. And we don't use the term "residential" in Florida, and we especially don't use the term "custodial" parent in Florida. Those terms make one parent believe they have more control over the kids than the other parent, which is not true. I fear that you may suffer a bit from this misbelief.

Read more
8/19/13, 9:33 am
Gregory Buckley Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

To relocate with the children more than 50 miles, you will need to comply with the provisions of Florida's Parental relocation Statute, Chapter 61.13001. You need either the permission of the other parent or an Order from the court.

If there is an ongoing case, it would not be a good idea to move before the case was complete, unless the court allows you to relocate temporarily.

Read more
8/19/13, 10:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88333 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now