Florida  |  Civil Litigation

Hi, I have a question regarding defamation/slander lawsuit. I currently live in Indiana and will be moving back to Florida. I want to know if I can start a lawsuit in the State of Florida for actions against 2 people here in Indiana that have slander my professional name ( I am a licensed Real Estate Broker) and going out of their way to defame my charcter and so far, I have had to defend myself with the Indiana Attorney General's office. I do not wish to reside in this State anymore, but I do not intend on letting them get away this. If I start a lawsuit in Indiana, I am stuck here for awhle, so I'd like to move back home to Florida and than intitiate a the lawsuit in Florida.

Thank you in advance for your help

Sherry Ulrich

Answered on: 4/15/11, 4:00 pm by Scott R. Jay

If the action and the harms incurred in the State of Indiana, the proper venue for the filing of any lawsuit involving Indiana residents as described herein is only in the State of Indiana. Florida has no jurisdiction over two people who reside in another state and the lawsuit would be dismissed upon a proper motion being filed.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

305-249-8000

Law Offices of Scott R. Jay 1575 Northeast 205th Street Miami, FL 33179-2133

Answered on: 4/15/11, 5:52 pm by Alan Wagner

You will need to sue in Indiana for a tort commited there.

Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, P.A. 601 Bayshore Boulevard; Suite 910 Tampa, FL 33606