Florida  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/17/13, 4:27 pm

I came to the US in 1999 with a tourist visa, I changed my status to H1 through a very well-known engineering company in North Miami Beach, after a couple of attempts my I130 was finally approved with a priority date of September 2008.

In December 2008 I fell out of status after having renewed my H1 visa for as long as I could and having had an F2 visa as the wife of my husband at the time who had a student visa himself. I have been undocumented ever since. In June 2013 my priority date became current as per the Visa Bulletin, therefore I proceeded to file form I485 to adjust status. On September 10 th USCIS sent me a RFE requesting evidence that I have maintained nonimmigrant status since I arrived in the US, which is impossible for me to prove since I have been undocumented since 2008 while waiting for my visa number to become current.

Question: What can I say to the immigration officer to make an exception on my case regarding the time I have not been able to maintain a legal status here? I read somewhere that

“adjustment of status will be granted where the alien is statutorily eligible and there are no "Negative Factors." When such negative factors exist, the factors will be weighed to determine whether adjustment will be granted. Close family relatives and immediate relatives in the US, may be a strong factor favoring adjustment. - See more at: http://www.hooyou.com/i-485/eligible.html#sthash.mT5CP8aA.dpuf

I was married until 2011 now I am divorced and I have a 7 year old American born son who goes to 1st grade in Miramar, I support my son fully on my own, I have paid my taxes every year since I have been here and my mother and father are both American citizens living here.

Please help! What can I do if anything? I just don’t want to get a deportation letter in the mail. Can I perhaps write a hardship letter explaining my situation to the officer? Will it work?

Thank you very much for your attention

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search