Florida  |  Traffic Law

I was in an auto accident last week. I was ticket for having a registration/tag expired for a period of 16 months, not having a florida drivers license ( i do have a valid north carolina issued ID but have lived in this state for two years without switching over. allotment is only ten days). having an at fault accident, and having no insurance. I was arrested and immediately allowed to sign myself out on a 500 dollar signature bond. I have since fixed all of these issues with my documents and have all the necessary proof of this but I am extremely concerned that my license will be suspended when i go to court for these issues. I am also worried that i may be sent to jail. I have never been in trouble before and really just don't know what to expect. I plan to visit the district attorneys office and try to get some of this dropped; however i am concerned that because i was given four tickets i will have to tough them all out in court. can you help me by telling me what to expect the outcome to be?

Answered on: 9/18/13, 6:59 am by Craig Epifanio

You should absolutely not visit the prosecutor. Not only will you probably be ignored, but worse will be that they will listen to you. At that point, you have waived all your rights to remain silent and everything, good and bad, will be used against you. You need to get an attorney to act as a go between to the prosecutor. The attorney can also bring out defenses that may help you avoid some or all of the consequences. Talk to an attorney in your area immediately.

Craig Epifanio, P.A. 5445 16th Street N St Petersburg, FL 33703