Florida  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/14/13, 1:14 pm

My uncle brought my grandmother from Puerto Rico to Miami, because he did not want to take care of her anymore. My mother took my grandmother to the doctor since she had come from Puerto Rico with a severe leg injury that was not property taken care of, she looked underweight and her medication bottles were parentally empty.

My grandmother has been with my mother for almost a year, and she had leg surgery, that lets her walk again, and the doctor found an eye clog and a kidney deficiency cause by mismanaging of her medications while under the care of my motherís sister and brother, that caused her to lose her sight from on eye and have kidney issues.

Right now my uncle wants custody of my grandmother again, because he wants the house she owns in P.R. My mother and I are concerned, because of what he caused her in the pass, including chasing her SS checks directly to his account. At this point my mother has a living will and a durable power of attorney, but we found out that he had one too. All we want is for my grandmother to be safe and happy, and not be left alone in a room until he comes back from work with his lady friend.

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/14/13, 1:28 pm by Barry Stein

If she is competent she can decide where she wants to be. If not, than an involuntary guardianship may be needed. Seek some legal advice.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search