Legal Question in DUI Law in Georgia

Employment Application

I am unclear on how I am suppose to reply to an employment application question ''Have you ever been convicted of an offense against the law other than a minor traffic violation?''. In 1990 I pleaded Nolo contendere on a DUI charge. I received a fine but did not receive points on my license and did not receive any other penalties. The last time I checked (8 years ago) this showed on my driving record as a DUI and also said Nolo next to it. What does this mean and how should I respond on employment applications? Also, is there anyway to get this removed off of my record? Thanks for the help.

Nickolas Chilivis Chilivis, Traylor & Lyon, LLC

Re: Employment Application

You will probably need to disclose this on your application. Pleaing nolo is basically pleaing guilty without admitting guilt, and as far as DUI law is concerned, a nolo plea acts as a conviction.

There is a way to get this DUI expunged from your record. There are certain procedural steps that you will have to take to do so, and expungment is not guaranteed.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Georgia