Legal Question in DUI Law in Georgia

I live in Texas and was planning on moving to Georgia when I got back to back DUIs in California. I have not been convicted yet thus my Texas license is valid. I am in the process of trying to get a Georgia drivers license. Will my DUIs in California prohibit me from getting my license in Georgia? I heard Georgia does not share DMV information and/or receive CA license information. Please let me know if this is true.

S. Carlton Rouse Rouse & Co., LLC

Although Georgia is not a participating state with respect to the Interstate Driver's License Compact, which is an agreement among the majority of the states to share information regarding convictions, e.g. DWI/DUI, the Department of Driver Services will request a letter of clearance or a certified driving record from California to ensure that you are a safe driver and qualified to have the privilege to use our highways and roads. You are required to submit your application for a license within thirty (30) days of relocating to Georgia. Thus, the inquiry into your driving history will happen relatively quickly.

I suggest you hire a qualified attorney in California and do what you can to preserve your license. Simply ignoring the problem and relocating my not serve your long term interests.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Georgia