Legal Question in DUI Law in Georgia

I live in Texas and was planning on moving to Georgia when I got back to back DUIs in California. I have not been convicted yet thus my Texas license is valid. I am in the process of trying to get a Georgia drivers license. Will my DUIs in California prohibit me from getting my license in Georgia? I heard Georgia does not share DMV information and/or receive CA license information. Please let me know if this is true.

Asked on 10/23/13, 3:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

S. Carlton Rouse Rouse & Co., LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Although Georgia is not a participating state with respect to the Interstate Driver's License Compact, which is an agreement among the majority of the states to share information regarding convictions, e.g. DWI/DUI, the Department of Driver Services will request a letter of clearance or a certified driving record from California to ensure that you are a safe driver and qualified to have the privilege to use our highways and roads. You are required to submit your application for a license within thirty (30) days of relocating to Georgia. Thus, the inquiry into your driving history will happen relatively quickly.

I suggest you hire a qualified attorney in California and do what you can to preserve your license. Simply ignoring the problem and relocating my not serve your long term interests.

Read more
Answered on 10/23/13, 5:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now