Georgia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/10/13, 8:46 am

If I am 17 years old and I am turning 18 December 17th of this year my question to ask is...

My mother has been threatening me this entire year that if I have an F on my report card that I will have to move out and that I will have to find another place to live and that if I dont join the military and pass school I will not be living in her house anymore what is this considered? Also, If I think moving out is what's best for me and that I will get somewhere's if I move out can I? I feel like even when I turn 18 years old that I am trapped under her roof and I cant leave although I know I'd be able to. Help me please. I mean I just am wanting to change my Guardian until I am 18 years old and I have someone who is willing and able to do so.

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/10/13, 11:52 am by Robert Gardner

Your mother cannot just turn you out of the house, as she is legally responsible for you until you are 18, and could face criminal prosecution for child abandonment. She also cannot make you join the military, as that has to be your decision. As to finding another to petition for guardianship of you, that is a sensible option. However, the person who files the petition needs to know that your mother can oppose this if she wishes to. If that turns into a fight, you are better off waiting until your 18th birthday, then you can do whatever you want. Just be careful, as the world is not set up for an 18 year old to succeed on their own.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at, or through our website:

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search