Georgia  |  Family Law

My husband and I got a divorce last April and during the marriage I bought a motorcycle in my name for him. When we got the divorce we verbally agreed that he would make the payments on the motorcycle. He did it for a while, but now he keeps making late payments which reflects poorly on my credit. I told him to get the loan switch over into his name and I gave him a month to do it. He owns his own business and doesn't pay taxes so he could show proof of income. I checked to see if the bike was insured and it wasnt. So now he is making late payments, giving me a poor credit score, and if he recks the bike...I am the one who has to deal with having no insurance. I have given him time to bring the bike so I could sell it. He has moved, and I dont know where so I cant go get it. Can I report it stolen? I just want it back since he isn't doing what he said he would. Am I in the right here? What should I do?

Answered on: 10/22/10, 1:31 pm by Scott Riddle

If you want to be charged with a crime, you can report it stolen. Otherwise, this is the risk of making these unenforceable agreements and demands on him, and the risk of not finalizing the agreement as part of the final decree, and the risk of letting him keep it in the first place while the loan is in your name. No one here knows what is in your divorce papers, so the best option is to definitely see a lawyer to get something done ASAP, before you get a lawsuit filed against you if he has an accident.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326

Answered on: 10/22/10, 5:32 pm by Glen Ashman

If you report it stolen, you go to jail.

Unless your divorce papers gave you rights to it, you have no rights. Your lawyer should have addressed this issue. See him to discuss it.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 10/23/10, 8:02 am by Ralph Villani

Talk to the lawyer who did your divorce ASAP

VILLANI& ASSOCIATES, P.C. 821 DAWSONVILLE HWY, SUITE 250-333 Gainesville, GA 30501-2634